Saturday, February 13, 2010

Maybe I Wrote It, Maybe Not

I've always felt a strong resistance to using a pseudonym when I write.  But how one feels and the needs of the industry can be incompatible, so now I'm trying to come up with a catchy pen name.  Two, actually.  Let me know if you have suggestions. "Dirk Diggler" is taken.

Because I'm concentrating now on writing for children, I may well want a different name for publishing certain other things.  I've written 3/4 of a novel that's decidedly inappropriate for the 12-year-olds who will read my forthcoming medieval mystery.  Much as it pains me, I'll need to market the adult novel under a pseudonym, or else children's publishers (and the parents of America) will avoid me like carrion.

A live chat with a much-published author at ICL pointed out another reason to pick a second name: prolific and varied output.  If I produce a children's novel per year, a single publishing house might like all of them.  But they're unlikely to be willing to over-saturated their catalog with the works of Anne E. Johnson, lest it look like a one-woman show.  The problem would be fixed if I had another identity for half the books.

How about "Haby S. Corpus"?

No comments:

Post a Comment